Did I tell you about our piano? This piano came to us through the kindness of our Realtor. He knew we wanted one, and he had another client who was looking to get rid of one, so we only had to get it moved, which we did just before Thanksgiving.
Yesterday the piano tuner came. He observed that the previous owners hadn't had it tuned recently. It wasn't playable, really. I'd try to play a simple melody and you'd swear I was on the wrong keys. Forget chords and key signatures and accidentals: the whole thing was an accident.
It's gorgeous, now. I mean, it's still a 1963 spinet that was low-end 45 years ago. But it sounds like a piano, and I can play melodies, harmonies, and chords. Now when it sounds bad, I know it's my own fault... either that or I have a little girl helping with extra notes.
Here's the piece I've been working on since Sheri Park played it in a recital when I was a wee thing still trying to perfect the Tarantella.
I'm nowhere near this fast, I make mistakes all over, and I don't have it memorized. I've been working on it for years. It's traditionally played much faster. Billy Joel does it with guitars, drums, lights, and crowds of screaming fans. Jon Schmidt beat Billy Joel's record fastest time in 2007.
I'll be pretty stoked when I can compare to the slow video.
1 year ago
3 comments:
I'm very happy for you and your piano! It's fun to hear the Rootbeer Rag that fast. It makes me feel like I should be practicing every day.
AWESOME! I so wish we had a piano. You'll have to video yourself playing when you've got it down!
Good find! I love it when win-win situations happen! Your sidewalk chalk was dang cute, and your girls are growing up and adorable! First steps are so much fun!
Post a Comment