Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gratitude Day

When I was a Junior in High School, having a rough day (as high school days are wont to be) a couple of my very wise friends instigated Gratitude Day. It was March 3, 1995. With that beginning, the third of every month has been Gratitude Day. Over the years I have shared the holiday with some who have celebrated it far better than I. My life has been so blissful these last few years that I have all but forgotten to observe this important monthly tradition.
The rules are simple: notice what you're grateful for and be grateful.
Lists help.
Today, while not the third of anything, is a necessary remedial gratitude day.

I am grateful for:
Robert Thompson and Julie Keck who invented Gratitude Day
Alisha who observes Gratitude Day still
Diana who taught me to make happy lists
Julie who posted a great happy post
Camille who probably doesn't know I read her blog
Emily whose blog triggered the memory of good lists
Elizabeth whose smiles melt my grumps
Clinton who loves me more than anybody
Netflix
Mom who doesn't tell me I'm wrong even when I am
Papa Johns who provides nice "thank you" gift card delivery
Rebecca who lets me come visit when I need a piece of home in Maryland
Vanessa who is 6 and says the funniest things in Primary
Pringles
Forgiveness
Vanilla ice cream with fudge running through it
Monster.com just for being there
Louis, my 1992 painfully practical Honda who has been with me for 5 years and is still going
The Club, ensuring that Louis sticks around for a while longer
Unmistakable inspiration that continues to reassure after the fact
(I am ashamed to say it) well-placed cuss words when I want them
Family prayer
New running shoes
New socks
Mary Poppins and Cinderella, brought to me by Lizzy
6th floor balcony in the pouring rain with lightning
Breakfast brought to the office, and lunch too
Clean laundry
Spider Solitaire
The FSO test results
Lights at ends of Tunnels
Fall Leaves
Snowmen - literal and figurative
Five Guys burgers and fries
Packets of handmade cards from my Mom

More things, too... but I have to go back to work

6 comments:

JenWright said...

You are super awesome. Thanks for the uplifting list. :) Long distance hugs and love, jtw

Hethrjem said...

And slippers and melted cheese and chocolate chips and the smell of clean laundry.

And your suggestion of kennels for irresponsible people!

Maren said...

Hi Merinda! It's Maren Creswell. I discovered your blog awhile back, and can't remember now whether I sent you a comment or not. My memory is horrible these days! Anyway, I have been checking your blog and it is fun to see what you guys are up to. Congrats on Clinton passing his test, and I enjoyed reading your grateful list. I should make one, too. I have a blog at dallinmaren.blogspot.com if you want to see our little Noah who is not so little anymore-- well, he's just not a baby anymore at 19 months. By the way, I like the way you write-- fresh and witty, I think. I'm SO not either of those, but I can always wish (or I can spend an hour trying to compose a 'funny' entry that's only one paragraph long-- that's pretty much the comparison.) Don't know if that made sense. Well, take care!

Alisha M said...

Mindy! I love your list. And, just in case you ever want to visit my infrequently update blog, it is willandalisha.blogspot.com I think.

I'm pretty boring though, and have no pictures, but I love your guts and that might help.

mytee sooperox said...

MINDY!!! I haven't thought about Gratitude day in years (and I observed it so faithfully for so long) and my mom brought it up just out of the blue today. I thought I'd google you to see if I could find you--and here you are with a post about gratitude day! You'll have to remind me when the actual Internal Gratitude Day is (I remember March but I don't remember the exact day). You are just so awesome.
:) roxy

mytee sooperox said...

hello, if I had read a little more closely, I would have gotten the date. Sorry-- I was just too excited at having found you with so little effort.