Monday, March 07, 2011

The best-laid plans...

So I posted my birth plan right here, announced my intention to go all-natural and have a drugless delivery.

We had an appointment this week, and they couldn't get a solid lock on the baby's heart beat. It sounded like tracking two heart beats - mine and his. They moved the monitors, tried to chase the baby around, and finally decided I should have an ultrasound with the maternal-fetal-medicine guy.

Everybody was asking when we first heard this heart arrhythmia, to which the answer was, "today." Then suddenly, everybody was wildly interested in Lizzy's heart history.

Dr. Maternal-Fetal-Medicine got the ultrasound going and looked at the heart. He said that it was definitely out-of-beat and that he recommended that we avoid the risk of undue stress on that little heart. My midwife concurred that the best thing for the baby would be a c-section. Today.

We went home, got the girls situated for a few days, and then arrived at the hospital.

It was very surreal to listen to an operation. I could feel that there was motion, and sometimes could identify what they were pushing on or pulling on; but not be actually connected to the girl on the operating table. Then I heard my baby crying, and he was whisked off to the next room. Clinton then left off his job of holding my hand and went to see the baby's exam with the NICU team. I continued to listen as they operating team sewed my layers back together.

I got to kiss Tommy as he and Clinton went to the recovery room, and then I met them after. Tommy was 10 pounds 15 ounces.

I have never met a variety of anesthesia that agreed with me, and this was no exception. I was pretty dizzy, fairly nauseous, and not really able to sit up, much less hold my new son. I could reach across and touch his hand. They moved us to our room and finally had to give me something to counter the nausea, which completely knocked me out.

Tommy's EKG and echocardiogram indicate a premature atrial beat, something that should go away within a few weeks. Over the next few days, that premature atrial beat showed itself to be an intermittent thing. Some nurses/ doctors found it to be very obvious, and some couldn't hear it.

I'll post a bit more later, but there's the news: we've got a baby Thomas. Yay!

10 comments:

Jeri Dawn said...

Thanks for posting this MIndy...I am glad that things worked out for both of you. Hopefully you will recover quickly! And congrats! How big were your other baby's?

Merinda Reeder said...

Lizzy was 9 lbs even.
Emma was 9 lbs 15 oz.
I expect a fourth child to come in right close to 12 lbs ... yikes.

sarahflib said...

Oh my goodness. That's all I can say. Poor all of you! But I'm so glad that your baby Thomas is here and safe, even if the delivery was far from what you hoped for. Congratulations on your new baby boy, and best of luck for the recovery for both of you!

Oh, and I seriously can't believe how big he was. Wow. You deserve a medal for carrying that baby around the past few weeks/months! Madeline was seriously half that size when she was born, so I can't even imagine how you must have been feeling lately!

colds1 said...

I was thinking about sending you a few of the new baby outfits we didn't use with our Tommy ... but I doubt they would fit your king! Wow!

I'm glad he's healing. I'm glad you are healing. And, quite frankly, I'm glad you had medication when you birthed him. That's a big baby!

J and L said...

So glad that he is here safe and sound even if it wasn't what you had planned... Hoping you are having a good recovery!

Diana said...

Thanks for filling in what facebook couldn't... now where're the pics! Gotta see that big Buddha!

Reynolds said...

Congrats on your *little* guy. He and our Andrew are probably weighing in at the same thing at this point, even at one month apart. Sorry about the changes in your plan! But glad all is well.

Shelly said...

I love knowing this. Thank you for posting it!

What a big boy. Scary how real my dreams are, right? I can't wait to see some pictures of the little/big man.

You had mentioned a c-section and I'm glad you clarified what happened. Nearly 7 years and a couple thousand miles seperate our baby boys, but there are so many similarities. It just amazes me. Some ties can't be broken, eh, my friend?

Michelle said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad that things turned out okay, even though it wasn't as planned. Hope you and Tommy are doing well!

Crisanne said...

Congratulations on a new *little* one! I hope all is going well for your recovery. I never planned on a c-section either, and having my last little guy come just about the same way Tommy did was a surprise! Can't wait to see pictures of your little man!