When I was little, we would leave for vacations at
10:00 and drive through the night with everybody sleeping in the back of the motorhome Usually these trips were to Disneyland; but sometimes we went to Yellowstone, Arches, Texas, Sacramento... but in a camper or a motorhome. This was back in the 80's and early 90's when seatbelts and car seats were for normal passenger vehicles and road trips changed all the rules. (as did pickup trucks)Most of my family are, by nature, early birds. They like to go to bed at bed time; but not me. So for cross-country night drives, I'd sit up front with my dad to "keep him awake" and get to drink soda and eat pringles and watch the miles pass in the atlas... "68 miles to Nevada, Dad."
See what you miss out on when you sleep?
Dad listened to 60's rock (he was a teen in the 60s) a lot of Beatles and Beach Boys - the Turtles and the Association, stuff from the 50's too. And then there were a few other winners. The Streak and Guitarzan by Ray Stevens. I have these on my iPod for road trips and cleaning days and silly moods.
Some of that [Ray Stevens] is not really great music; and I now understand why he picked those. They're lively, sing-along-able, and silly. I figure he liked them well enough; but they probably aren't his favorite music.
What will your kids love more than you do because of good memories?
5 comments:
We listened to the Beach Boys on our trip to the Oregon coast, and Beatles "Revolver" on the way to Montana. Isn't funny how we associate certain music with specific family trips?
I'm not sure about my own kids, but my memory is going to the old Winegars in Sunset with my mom early on Saturday mornings and the radio ALWAYS played "September Morn" by Neil Diamond. It still makes me think of groceries when I hear it!
My iPod is always on random. I have playlists, but I always prefer just to shuffle through them all. So Chloe is inundated with all sorts of genres and artists. She will definitely think of mom and dad when she hears June and Johnny Cash duets, Across the Universe soundtrack, and hip hop (that would be her dad).
Oh. kidzorg is me.
Thanks for the shout-out again, btw!
My kids love Elvis, mostly because I have good memories of Elvis.
I love Ray Stevens too. My favorite of his songs is "Ahab the Arab". It's the best lip-sync song ever.
Post a Comment