Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Split Ticket

Ahh Politics!

I registered to vote in Utah at my local caucus where I was voted as a delegate... a Democratic Delegate.

Mostly I've been Independent; but in Maryland I did align myself with the GOP 4 years ago, hoping to support my man in the primary.

Utah Republicans hold so much of the state that they can do whatever they want without debate or dissent. I think Utah needs some balance.

Last weekend I showed up to the county convention and tried to advance the Democrats that I think are strongest, in hopes that the state can approach some balance. This weekend I'll be at the state convention, doing the same.

In a debate last week, my man Scott Howell rightly said that the Utah Democratic Party need not be weakened by a Mitt Romney presidential run. I believe that thinking people in this state have the ability to vote for the candidates that resonate with them, even if those candidates are representing different parties.

Clinton's political choices may or may not not match mine; but so far I'm solidly endorsing a split ticket:
D Scott Howell for Senate (send Hatch Home)
D Ben McAdams for Salt Lake County Mayor
R Mitt Romney for the Economy and to Fix what's broken

I talked with Scott Howell. He answered my questions and explained a bit about his record. I trust him to represent Utah and to do what is right for the country. I've spoken with Ben McAdams and I think he is the right man for the county right now. It's been 11 years since I last shook Mitt Romney's hand; but I think I know him a lot better now, and I trust him.

Closer to home, I think the summer will have to get hot and old before we really know who is running for what and why. As for Washington, I think Congress needs to get out of gridlock and come to the middle. A little less polarization, thank you.

Along with my position as a delegate, I've been trusted as a precinct chair. That means I'm supposed to mobilize the voters in my 'hood. Get out the vote, as they say. If you've read this far, here's my personal invitation: register. And in November, Vote.

No comments: