Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Politics, Health Care, and Death Threats

I know a lot of people who are personally significantly affected by health care costs. I know a lot of people who will be personally significantly affected by the new legislation.

I don't need to acknowledge on this blog that it is personal, emotional, and very important to people on both sides of the issue. That's politics. Wars have been fought over issues that meet these descriptors.

Death threats, though? Personal attacks? School-yard name calling?

I'm reminded again of the one thing I'd change in the past. In high school, I did something that was mean, spiteful, cruel, and altogether wrong. Of all the poor choices... wasted money, wasted time, wrong place wrong time, automobile related, rude, thoughtless, embarrassing, ignorant things I've done... I would take back just that one. I've never 'fessed up to the details, and I won't today.

It haunts me though. From that I say, let's take a step back. Breathe for a minute.

There is a right way to handle dissatisfaction. Run for office, pay a political action committee, volunteer for a campaign, write your congresspeople, vote out the incumbents.

Road rage does not further your cause; road rage weakens your cause.

I am no fan of the proceedings that led to this new legislation. I think that both sides acted childishly in many instances. I'm frustrated with the whole bunch of them.

There are aspects of the legislation that are good. There are aspects that I wish could be changed. I will be politically active, and I urge you to do the same; but please, o please, have some dignity.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Amen!

Shelly said...

You always know just what to say. :)