Thursday, January 08, 2009

31 to come

I like birthdays, and I'm not particularly affected by the impending 31th to come. But there is one thing I'm not looking forward to.

Legally, I should have obtained a driver license from the State of Maryland 18 months ago. But I am a law-breaking illegally-driving out-of-stater with a Utah driver license. Why? According to the MVA website:

To qualify for an unrestricted driver’s license, the State of Maryland requires drivers to have:
  • Binocular vision
  • Visual acuity (Snellen) of at least 20/40 in each eye
  • A continuous field of vision of at least 140 degrees

Restricted licenses may be issued to persons having:

  • Visual acuity of at least 20/70 in one or both eyes
  • A continuous field of vision of at least 110 degrees, with at least 35 degrees lateral to the midline of each side
Maybe you've met me. I do not possess binocular vision; and I'm fiercely stubbornly opposed to being limited by that minor footnote on my dossier. I loathe the idea of somebody telling me I can't have a normal-people driver license.

I will grant you that I'm not a stellar driver. I have been in a few fender-benders (and fixed at least one of those bent fenders). I am sometimes inattentive and occasionally more aggressive than the insurance company would like. These, however, are character flaws that any binocular individual may possess.

As per Maryland law, I'm having my vision tested this afternoon so I can take a form to the MVA before Tuesday when my Utah license expires and I become really legitimately completely unlicensed. Then the State of Maryland will issue me a restricted license.

Ah well, there's always cake to look forward to, right?

5 comments:

colds1 said...

I'm not sure what made me laugh more--my experiences riding with you as driver or that you labeled this post in a "stupid laws" category!

Reynolds said...

Well... as you have your eyes examined, just make sure they're dilated. I hear it is a good thing. HA HA HA

Diana said...

I like cake!

Jeri Dawn said...

Oh, you are a scary driver...I remember. Something about being able to properly gauge distance between objects! Good luck lady!

Merinda Reeder said...

In my defense, I haven't had a ticket since before I was married. That's 4.5 years. So even if I admit to being a less-than-great driver, I have improved.