Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year - New Insurance - New Baby

Have you ever tried to switch doctors 32 weeks into a pregnancy? It's a little dificult, since most doctors want to know their patients. Some HMOs don't care - like the HMO that I had up until last week. But doctors with practices who actually know their patients... the kind of places that you want to be your doctor... you should probably try to get one of those before 32 weeks.

Three telephone conversations have begun like this:
Me: Hi I just changed insurance carriers and need to find a new provider. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and ...
Receptionist: Did you say you are 2 weeks pregnant?
Me: Thirty two.
Re: We can't schedule an appointment until the doctors have seen your complete medical history for this pregnancy. The team will review your case and decide whether they will take you on as a patient.

Then we get into the details of whether they take my insurance, contrary to the provider website, then we hang up and I start over with the same conversation. Cross your fingers for me - I hope I have a doctor soon. It's a little awkward.

Speaking of awkward, I'm quickly moving into the sixth and seventh awkward stages of pregnancy. If I don't get my insurance sorted out, I may have the pleasure of missing stage 8 altogether. For those who haven't been pregnant before, the 9 awkward stages are as follow:
Stage 1: clothes are way too tight
Stage 2: 2-size up clothes are too tight - and the husband clothes won't button at all
Stage 3: Maternity clothes are really saggy and feel all wrong - elastic is already the enemy
Stage 4: Maternity clothes fit correctly and you are just entering trimester 3. Uh-oh.
Stage 5: Going to a public pool in a bathing suit at your size begins to seem reasonable
Stage 6: Maternity clothes are too tight
Stage 7: People say "haven't you had that baby yet?" and you can't fit into shoes
Stage 8: Pass 38 weeks and the doctor says "whenever she decides to come"
Stage 9: Pass the due date and consider renting a crane to get out of chairs and bed

These may overlap, and they may be interspersed with periods of time that are not awkward - except as doesn't relate to pregnancy. Am I missing any? Plenty of loyal readers are familiar with this. Correct me if I need to be helped here.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I have been meaning to give you my doctor's number since we talked about it. Call if you still want it.

Those stages are hilarious, though I'm sure not too funny to those experiencing them. I have heard about them time and time again, and how annoying they are. But I love the list. I am aware that people hate it when someone asks if they are ever going to have their baby. So I've taken note to steer clear of the comment. If I have mentioned it, please forgive me.

Shelly said...

I've just discovered Phase 10: People look at you and say, "oh, you finally had your baby!" To which I think, "Thank goodness you can tell I'm no longer pregnant!"

PS--I've had to change insurance twice late in the pregnancy and I feel for you. Good luck!

Diana said...

good luck sweetie! I know you'll find someone that will workout just fine. And really, what it comes down to is how good are the nurses at the hospital you're delivering at. Sometimes doctors just come and catch. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

J and L said...

I totally know how you feel with the changing of doctors mid-pregnancy... Its frustrating!! Good luck!
I love the awkward stages too! So true! I get the "are you ready to pop yet?" question constantly. And I will never understand people who think you WANT to hear that you are "bigger" than so and so at this stage or that stage, etc. As if we don't already feel like tents housing Helamans' army...